Thursday, October 12, 2006

fair day & yesterday

Today marks the expiration of my driver's license. It's sad that my ID has no validity anymore, that I couldn't send my sister to school this morning. Well, I can't do anything about it but to give it away. I wish I could keep it, but I can't. It's gonna be thrown to the trash, then be recycled. Yeah, that's what happened this morning. I surrendered my expired driver's license.... for a new one!!! hahaha! Gotcha! Yesss my dears, I can actually renew it. Remember my previous rants about how am I gonna survive the next three months without a driver's license? That I'm goin to be stuck here at home, doing nothing? Ha! I was totally wrong. I received the documents or receipts of my adjustment of status papers from the lawyers yesterday, and those are the ones needed in order to renew my license. I'm so grateful that I can actually do that! So early this morning, my dad drove me to the DMV and renew it. I have now a temporary driver's license (on a paper again! sucks i know, but it's better to have it than nothing else), which is valid for 30 days, then the formal driver's license will be mailed within a month. I hope the validity of that license is no longer 6 months, but 1 year. So yeah I'm happy that I don't have to let my dad or sister drive me when I need to go out.

******

Last night, my mom and her colleagues celebrated a baby shower in their hospital. My mom brought me along. She toured me around her unit (telemetry), the one where she is the charged nurse. I found myself to be really scrutinizing the place, the machines, the rooms, and somehow having myself taking a peek of the patients. Yeah! There was a longing for me to work already. I'm getting more excited actually, and I miss the smell of the hospital. Well the smell here is good! I mean compared to PGH! haha!

Anyways, it was an opportunity also for me to learn, especially it was also a telemetry unit (which will be my unit in Mt. Sinai most probably). So whatever questions that pop my head, about the hospital stuffs, I asked my mom about them, like the telemetry monitors, how do they do their charting. My my my.. It's really different in here, so very high-tech! They're all computerized, and it's way easier. For instance, with regards to giving their medications. They have push carts that contain every patients' meds. The carts consist of several drawers, wherein each has the patient's name and bed number. Then at the top of every cart is a laptop, where the patients' meds are registered. Whenever you take away a med from the cart, you have to scan it in a little censor which is also attached to the cart. Then once you have given the medication, you also have to scan the wristband of the patient (the one that has his name on it). See, this is really a good strategy for avoiding medical errors, and that you will be ensured that you have given every medication that is required for that patient.

Moving forward to the party itself, I was the only one who's not employed there, but I don't feel out of place, because I know they're all my colleagues. They were amazed when they learned that I am an RN too and got more stupefied upon knowing that I'm already 22! hahaha! They thought I was just 18 (naks naman!) haha. Well, I guess we Filipinos have a secret of how to look young huh.

My mom's colleagues are Americans and Indians. Of course there are Filipinos too, but they weren't there last night. Oh yeah the Indian nurses arrived wearing their native dresses. I forgot what they're called. I think sari. haha. I don't know, I forgot. But they look good in them, then they have the red marks on their foreheads.

Anyways, since it's a potluck, my mom brought a tray of empanadas.. chicken empanadas. So good! She ordered them from her Filipina colleague too, and everyone had liked them. Most of the visitors were Indians, since the one who had the baby shower was an Indian. So what would you expect then, but for the foods to be Indian cuisine. Yes yes! It was my first time to get a taste of Indian foods, and they weren't bad at all. Yeah, actually I liked them. It's just the ones that they brought were mostly rice, and I'm not that fond of eating that much rice, because I get full with it easily. But hey, they're good! One was a fried rice with different spices on them. Then the other was a rice mixed with chicken and different spices (this one was a little spicy but it's good.. I mean it's tolerable!). I was like eating an international cuisine there, because there was also an Italian Zitti. So to sum it up, I ended up being full, because I have tasted almost everything. I have this love for tasting food wherein I am not that afraid to try whatever it is on the table, except for the native exotic foods (the intestines, snakes, insects - I'm NO NO for those! hehe)

******

Today is my last day of my first week of tutoring my 2 students. Ha! There's a lot to tell about those two kids. Sometimes I can feel that I can get a high blood with them, because they're sooo makulit and they would try to manipulate me. But then I have always learned from our Psychiatric Nursing to never allow your patients to manipulate you, that I have to set limits. Then there are times that they will argue to me that my answer is wrong. hayayay.. I just have to control my temper and not argue with them because they are kids. So here comes the nurse trying to be therapeutic and just continue to explain how the answers came out to be the way they are supposed to be. Nonetheless I'm enjoying teaching them, because I also learn a lot in dealing with them. I'm grateful too because I'm able to help them in their homeworks. My student Matthew even got a 100% in his Reading test the other day, and it's an accomplishment for my part too, because I have helped him to finish the book with him understanding it by heart. For the next weeks that I'm going to be dealing with them, I know there will be more challenge, but one thing that I can say now is that it's really hard to be a mother... disciplining the children and all. I mean to be a mom is a really noble job to do. So for now, I don't wanna be a mom yet. hehehe.

No comments: