Saturday, March 31, 2007

mint chocolate

I was with my 9-year old sister in my parents' room this morning. She was holding her white board and marker, while I was ironing my uniforms for work. She asked me, "Ate, what should I draw?" Yeah, my sister loves art. Then I told her, "You can draw anything you want. Why, what is it that you want to draw at the moment?" She kept on thinking and finally said, "I don't know. Tell me what to draw." Then I asked her, "Is that your only problem?" And she nodded. I came to think that she is lucky that she is just a child, for now, and her only problem is what it is that she will draw. Sometimes I wish I could go back to be in her age again, where I can be carefree and have nothing big to worry about.

She kept on thinking, then she drew a guitar. Well she knows how to play guitar and piano, so probably that what has come to her mind. Then I asked her, "Do you want to be a grown up now? Just like Ate.. 22 years old?" She thought about it and replied, "Nah, I will be tired. I will have to drive and go to work, it's tiring. I don't even know how to drive. I'll get crashed." "Then I'll teach you how to drive," I said. "No, I'm too small," she answered. We just laughed.

Well I guess we just have to accept that we really are opted to grow up, and grow old. Speaking of survival of the fittest. And I can say I also had a good memory of my childhood. I was never deprived of play, love and warmth from my family. It's just that sometimes it would come into us to think that it would be so nice to be a child again. My sister is still enjoying the time of her life as a child.

She continually drew in her white board, while I was hanging my clothes in the closet. But this time she was making a creative abstract drawing of the mint chocolate we ate at Dippin' dots yesterday. She was smiling and asking me if I can buy her another serving of it the next time we go to the mall.

3 comments:

jaiskizzy said...

kids.

Anonymous said...

I read your blogs and i'm surprised how you're tackling life at 22. I just turned 28 and i didn't even see it coming. my family called me on my day (friday the 13th) and all of them said "happy 30th" and it was just that moment i thought i was getting old. I enjoyed what you have blogged about, it reminds me of.... well,... me...(the13th_secret@yahoo) take care. i'll be back to keep on reading.

Anonymous said...

Children have very simple world..simple happiness...simple wiew about life and things..that's why see this stage as something we wish we could go back into..the child in us tha we so miss..esp. the innocence.

but life goes on...we eventually have to deal with it without excuse. i can say that even when we are very poor back in my childhood days..i was given the time to enjoy that stage..even without toys around me but still the memories of childhood friends were all great.

enjoy you youth this time kat!every stage of our life is what we are completely...all precious and meant to be cherished!

take care!